How to Spot an Electrical Gremlin Before it Causes Problems

Home electrical issues can prove costly, particularly if necessary repairs and preventative maintenance aren’t performed regularly. One of the easiest ways of keeping electrical repair costs low and reducing the number of calls you make to your electrician Colorado is to learn to spot the signs of a problem before it becomes serious. Here’s a closer look at how to spot electrical issues in your home with enough time to correct them, courtesy of The WireNut.

Shocks

If you’re experiencing shocks when you pull a plug out of the wall, or if you notice a spark when turning a particular electrical switch on and off, a faulty appliance or bad wiring may be to blame. Be careful to make the distinction, however, between an electrical issue and a shock that might occur after, say, crossing a carpet. The latter is caused by static and is not a serious issue.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are irritating, but they aren’t always cause for concern. They may just be flickering because of a faulty or loose bulb, so try swapping out the bulb in a flickering light before calling in a professional. If that doesn’t work, the wiring in your circuit breaker may need to be reworked, or there may be an issue with the connections in your light fixture.

Sparks or a Bad Burn Smell

If a bad burn-like odor emanates from the outlets and switches in your home, the first step you should take is to turn off the power from the electrical panel. The second step should involve placing a call to your electrician, who can tell you if the problem is with a particular device or a potentially serious wiring issue. Don’t ignore a burn smell – if left unassessed, it could lead to an electrical fire.

While some of these signs don’t always indicate a serious problem, others are cause for concern. When it comes to electricity, it’s always best to err on the side of caution, so if you’re experiencing any of these issues and can’t determine the cause, it is time to make a phone call.